Don't Forget About Water Heater Maintenance
March 7, 2017
Your water heater is the unsung hero of your home appliances. It sits quietly out of the way providing hot water whenever you need it for showering, cooking and more. All of this hard work takes a toll. So, make sure you don't forget about water heater maintenance every year for safe and efficient hot water. Here's what to know.
Avoiding Water Heater Problems
You may not realize that water heaters actually place second behind the HVAC system for energy usage in the average home. So, there's a lot at stake keeping your water heater in good working order. With a little TLC each year, you can enjoy the following benefits:
- Efficiency: Save money on your electric or gas bill.
- Service: Prevent costly malfunctions so your service isn't disrupted or water doesn't leak from the storage tank.
- Safety: Make sure your system is operating safely at the right temperature and pressure.
- Lifespan: Maximize the useful lifespan of your water heater with regular maintenance.
Water Heater Maintenance
There's a lot of parts and functions that go into heating hot water safely and efficiently. One of the most basic water heater maintenance tasks, which you can help between service calls, is flushing out sediment. Your technician will drain the entire tank and scrub the bottom to remove sediment and mineral deposits. You can help by draining just a gallon of water from the water heater every-other month.
Additionally, your technician checks these parts and functions:
- TPR: The temperature pressure relief (TPR) valve is a safety mechanism that allows pressure, steam and/or hot water to escape when safe limits are exceeded. Faulty valves should be replaced.
- Venting: Venting parts are inspected for function, fit and wear. For example, soot buildup on top of your gas water heater indicates a very serious problem with venting that can leak carbon monoxide (CO) inside your home.
- Water quality: Discolored water indicates the anode rod needs replacing or tank deterioration. Professional water heater maintenance helps prevent these problems.
For professional assistance with water heater maintenance in your Des Moines home, contact Lozier Heating & Cooling for an appointment.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in the greater Des Moines, Iowa area about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “ArtsyBee/Pixabay”