Important Tips for Maintaining a Healthier Home Environment
March 19, 2015
We spend most of our time at home, so it's important to create a healthy home environment for our families. Some means to achieve this goal are obvious, such as regular and thorough cleaning. However, some homeowners may be unaware of how unhealthful situations are generated in the home and what to do about them. Here are some suggestions for improving your home's environment.
Unhealthful Homes and Poor Health
A number of conditions in your home can contribute to poor health. Here are some factors to consider:
- In homes built prior to 1978, peeling paint may contain toxic lead.
- Smoking and second-hand smoke can cause respiratory problems and cancer.
- Radon, a natural substance found in the ground, can enter your home through cracks in the foundation and cause lung cancer.
- Moisture and mold growth can be a result of leaky plumbing, or poor ventilation in your bathroom or kitchen. Mold can cause allergies and other breathing problems.
- Using pesticides in your home or outdoors and not storing them properly can cause illness.
To create a more healthful home, consider the following remedies:
- If your home's lead-based paint is in good repair, then painting over it may be all that's needed. If it's peeling, then special precautions should be taken.
- Carbon-activated gas filters can help contain smoke in the home.
- Installing a vapor barrier in your basement can keep radon from entering your home. Have your living space tested for radon and treated by a professional.
- To eliminate moisture and mold, fix all leaks and install ventilation in your kitchen and bathroom.
- Install smoke and carbon monoxide alarms.
- Store pesticides carefully, and don't open them in your home.
For more information on maintaining a healthier home environment, contact Lozier Heating & Cooling
in West Des Moines.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in the greater Des Moines, Iowa area about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Credit/Copyright Attribution: "mtkang/Shutterstock"