Maintenance Tips to Prepare Your Des Moines Home for Spring
March 12, 2015
When spring hits the Des Moines area, it can feel like instant relief from the bitter cold of winter. As you're anticipating the start of spring, make sure your home is ready for the seasonal change. These spring home maintenance tips will help ensure your home can recover from the potential damage caused by any snow or ice that has accumulated during the winter.
- Replace the Furnace Filter: Spring is an excellent time to replace your HVAC filter. This will help prepare your air conditioner for the warmer months ahead.
- Clean the Dryer Vent: Some lint from your dryer may not be caught by your lint trap. If your vent becomes clogged, your dryer won't dry your clothes efficiently. When the weather starts to warm up, take the time to clean out your vent.
- Clean the Gutters: Even if you cleaned your gutters in the fall, take another look at them in the spring. Dirt and leaves can cause clogs during spring rains, which can create costly water damage.
- Replace Smoke Detector Batteries: Spring cleaning is an excellent time to swap out your smoke and CO detector batteries in your home.
- Clean Off the A/C: Check your A/C for grit and grime that can be washed off, and remove any vegetation that is around it. This will allow your air conditioner to run as efficiently as possible.
- Check Window and Door Seals: Chances are you caulked your windows and doors before winter started, but you should check again to see if they're still tightly sealed. Cold weather can cause caulk to harden and crack.
Do you have any questions about other spring home maintenance tasks that can help improve your home's function and efficiency this spring? Lozier Heating & Cooling
can provide expert tips to help spruce up your HVAC system and ensure that your air conditioner is ready for the coming summer months.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in the greater Des Moines, Iowa area about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Credit/Copyright Attribution: "sibgat/Shutterstock"