Discover How a Variable-Speed Furnace Can Benefit You this Winter
December 17, 2015
With winter practically here, you should be ensuring yourheating system will be ready to effectively and efficiently keep your home warm and comfortable. You should also make the necessary upgrades to enjoy cleaner air and lower utility bills. A variable-speed furnace can help you achieve all these and much more. Let's have a look at what makes the furnace a great investment for your home.
How the Furnace Works
A variable-speed furnace contains an air handling unit with an electronically commutated motor (ECM). The motor operates at a wide variety of speeds unlike the motors found in standard single-speed furnaces that always operate at the highest and least energy-efficient speeds. The variable-speed motor uses intelligent technology to continually monitor data coming from your home's heating and cooling system and automatically makes the necessary adjustments to meet your comfort needs.
A variable-speed furnace has the following benefits to offer:
- Lower energy bills: The ECM technology in a variable-speed motor sips electrical power at a lower rate than a standard motor. It helps you save money on your utility bills.
- Improved temperature control: A furnace with variable-speed features has longer running cycles and is able to change its speeds. Consequently, it responds more efficiently to temperature changes in your home and maintains the temperature with more precision than a traditional furnace.
- Improved humidity control: When installed with a matched air conditioner, the furnace allows more moisture to be removed from the indoor air than a traditional furnace during cooling operation.
- Less Noise: A variable-speed motor slowly ramps up to top speed. Therefore, there's no sudden, noisy kick or blast of air that's common with standard motors.
- Cleaner air: The more continuous variable-speed operation allows air to pass through the air filter more frequently. More contaminants are removed resulting in better indoor air quality.