Stop the Sneeze! Tips for Allergy Sufferers
May 10, 2016
Spring is a great time of year, unless you happen to be among the millions of Americans who suffer from seasonal allergies. But you're not defenseless against allergy triggers. Follow these allergy tips to make you and your family enjoy a healthier and more comfortable springtime.
- Equip your furnace and/or A/C with an effective air filter. Avoid settling for the cheap flat-panel asbestos filters. A higher-efficiency air filter will remove more of the contaminants in your air. These include a variety of allergens, including pollen, mold spores, dust mites, pet and human dander, insect bits, bacteria and more. Inspect the filter monthly, and switch it out before it gets clogged with dust and debris.
- Keep your equipment clean. If the area around your A/C or heat pump is dusty and dirty, eventually some of those particulates will get picked up by the HVAC air handler and blow through your home.
- Make sure guests and family members remove their shoes before entering your home. During allergy season, you'll be surprised how much pollen and other allergens get brought into the house by people and pets.
- If your pets go outside, make sure you brush them off before they come inside. This will remove both allergens and pet hair before it sheds throughout your home. If at all possible, keep pets out of bedrooms.
- Change sheets and bedding at least weekly. Over time, dust mites, dander and other contaminants accumulate in bedding and contaminate indoor air.
- Prevent mold from developing and spreading. Eliminate damp areas, and immediately address the appearance of mold on walls, ducts, floors, etc.
- Clean dust from around registers and vents, and have ductwork inspected every two or three years. Allergens can collect in ducts and contaminate air as it passes through.
- For persistent air quality issues, consider installing a whole-house air cleaner or cleaner.
For more allergy tips to help your health and comfort this spring and summer, please contact us at Lozier Heating & Cooling.
We serve the greater Des Moines area.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in the greater Des Moines, Iowa area about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Credit/Copyright Attribution: "Galushko Sergey/Shutterstock"